Thursday, January 19, 2006

"Perhaps the worst election campaign in modern Canadian History ..."

That's what I have to say about the Liberal Party campaign thus far. Don't believe me?

Check this out, hot off the wire:

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/10605

Paul Martin is just plain inept. He is also paying for the stink of Jean Chretien's corruption.

John Turner's 1984 campaign was not very good, but in reality, the odds were stacked against Turner and the Liberals as the Canadian electorate was tired of the arrogance and stagflation of the Trudeau years. I know - I was there.

Kim Campbell's 1993 campaign was brutal, but she was hung-out to dry by Mulroney. I voted Reform that year, not because I liked those louts, but because I was turned-off by Ms. Campbell and her inability to tell the truth. I know - I was there.

The Liberal's 1958 campaign was akin to Turner's in 1984. The same rationale was in play. I wasn't around for this one, but my Father told me that the final knock-out was a combination of Diefenbaker's hopeful vision married to the electorate's desire to punish Liberal arrogance.

The surprising thing to me, is how composed Stephen Harper has remained in this campaign. When I heard that Mulroney was in the background in the campaign, I suspected that the management of this drama would be undertaken with great care.

My hope for a CPC government is that there are enough Tories & Red Tories elected in Atlantic Canada and Ontario to keep the Alberta radicals in check. That would help me sleep better at night.

As to my voting intentions? I am still struggling with the issue, but since the CPC candidate is so very way ahead in my home riding, I may just stick with my plan to spoil my tender by writing:

"GEORGE PARKIN GRANT"

... across the ballot.

Yeah, that's it.

2 Comments:

At 1:13 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Mulroney is there. Late on election night I turned on the TV to see what the final result would be and there he was with his bell hop mug filling the screen and his gravel truck voice unctous and smarmy, leaving a trail like a garden slug.

The good thing is that the troops now crowding in from the underpopulated zones of the courntry, holding their precious Reform issues close to their bosoms, will, with their leader, soon have more arrows stuck in them than St. Sebastian. It could not happen to a nicer bunch. Jason Kenny come on down.

 
At 1:14 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Mulroney is there. Late on election night I turned on the TV to see what the final result would be and there he was with his bell hop mug filling the screen and his gravel truck voice unctous and smarmy, leaving a trail like a garden slug.

The good thing is that the troops now crowding in from the underpopulated zones of the courntry, holding their precious Reform issues close to their bosoms, will, with their leader, soon have more arrows stuck in them than St. Sebastian. It could not happen to a nicer bunch. Jason Kenny come on down.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home