Sunday, January 29, 2006

American "Fascism" and Canadian "Cultural Marxism"?

You simply have to read this one:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/27/weyrich-harper060127.html

I could not make this up if I tried - I swear it.

American "conservative" Paul Weyrich claims that Stephen Harper is the best antidote to the Canadian malady of "Cultural Marxism."

As someone who has a Degree in Modern Greats, I can tell you that there is no such thing as "Cultural Marxism." Well, that is not quite true, there was one notable movement in modern history that tried to employ such a nonsensical term - and that was the NAZIS.

It is quite a coincidence that this came across the newswire just as I am finishing Richard Evans' The Coming of the Third Reich, for it was the direct aim of the newly-minted NAZI dictatorship in mid-1933 to counter what they termed "Cultural Bolshevism" through their radical policy of Co-ordination - which was merely a technical term for the total absorption of all private organisations into NAZI control. It was means of stifling any sense of privacy and any possible avenue for dissent. It infiltrated every area of German life: Art, Commerce, Sport, Sex, Trade-Unions etc ..... and was the means the regime used to make sure that they had total control of the populace. It was chillingly effective.

And so Weyrich uses this terminology. Should I be drawing any conclusions? How could I possibly avoid doing so?

My Toryism is the kind that values freedom, order, justice, and stability as primary virtues. I stand foursquare with Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, and English-Canadian Tories of the day - who saw that both Fascism and Communism were the greatest threats to western civilisation. I still believe that to be the case.

Bandy about fantasies of "Cultural Marxism" all you want Paul, but don't call it conservatism - for what you are really espousing is FASCISM.

You Sir, are the Enemy.

There I said it. I feel a whole lot better.

3 Comments:

At 8:55 am , Blogger Polunatic said...

And I feel a little better hearing you say it.

 
At 8:35 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about this. I'm disgusted with Albertans. I'm disgusted with Bush. And I'm disgusted with this neo-Conservative movement. Lets all get ready to hear the obstructionist cries from this truly minority government.

 
At 12:02 am , Blogger Wise G said...

How did I miss this one?? Very interesting link, thanks for that. I'm sure the neo-cons in the US are quite pleased with this and see this as another sign of their being on the right side of history (no pun intended)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home