Saturday, November 26, 2005

I see that Stephen Harper - leader of the neoconservative CPC has accused the Governing Liberal Party of having ties to Organised Crime.

Dear Reader: I, like most Canadians am appalled and ashamed at what has happened with the Sponsorship Scandal in Quebec. Further, I find it entirely believable that Jean Chretien was involved to some degree in the Scandal. I have never liked Chretien, and found him to be an old Pol of the "Machine" type. I won't be surprised if he is fingered as the author (explicit or implicit...) of the whole mess.

So, none of that surprised me.

What does continually surprise me is how radical and extreme Stephen Harper appears to be. Through his words, actions, and pratfalls I find him to be most distasteful and vulgar.

In my opinion, he is NOT a gentleman.

And I expect the leader of a "conservative party" to be one.

By using this smear in the House of Commons, we can now see that Harper is not a man of magnanimity, moderation, or honour. Inferring ties to Organised Crime when they cannot be proven is not only unfair, but a smear on all Canadians of Honour and Good Faith who support the Liberal Party. I have never voted Liberal in my life, and I opposed most of the Trudeau Policies with every fibre of my being, but I would NEVER support the use of such McCarthyite smear on anyone - even the Liberal Party of Canada.

Yet another example of how the CPC is not "conservative."

It certainly isn't a Tory Party anymore.

They have no hope of recalling the Tories back into supporting them in the next Dominion Election. We do not like the man, his carriage, or his neoconservatism.

Some will Vote Liberal. Some NDP. As for me and my House, I am at a Loss.

2 Comments:

At 1:57 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us just get rid of this old standard about who is a gentleman and who is not. A gentleman is a person of no visible means of support who borrows money from you, does'nt pay it back, then when you ask him for it, he says you are not a gentleman. That is a British gentleman, of course, and this is an Irish view, but we really do have a lot of experience with them.
The point is, no civlized man would wish to be known as a gentleman by that standard, so let us drop the reference.

 
At 4:27 pm , Blogger Aeneas the Younger said...

garhane: You are confusing the use of the term to always mean "a man of the gentry." I am using the term more in the line with "gentleman by conduct." One can be both of course, but it is not necessarily always the case. To me, Harper is not a gentleman; in fact, I find him to be dour and somewhat of a boor. I also find him given to hyperbole & humbug. But that is just my view.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home